Welcome!

Welcome to the blog of Zaq Roberts, Associate Head of School at The Berkeley School in Berkeley, CA. I blog about a wide variety of topics, from classroom moments I witness, to administrative events and conversations, to the educational blogs, videos, and books I am reading and watching, and how they are influencing my thinking. I hope this eclectic approach will give you insight into the many ways that I am engaging in advancing the school and strengthening our program, and I welcome your thoughts and comments!

This blog takes its name from a quotation by Archimedes that reads "Give me a lever long enough, and I can move the world." The TBS mission speaks directly to the need to engage a changing world, while many of the experiences in our program focus on the development of students' agency and authority. TBS is the lever by which we all - administration, faculty, students, and parents - can together move the world to be more humane, compassionate, and responsive. To borrow an important Montessori phrase, it is our way to remake the world.

Monday, October 18, 2010

Two videos I watched today

I watched two very different, very powerful videos on gender identity today, and I thought I'd link to them here.
http://tv.gawker.com/5663083/this-is-the-most-touching-it-gets-better-video-you-will-ever-see?ref=nf
http://jezebel.com/5664165/meet-princess-boy--his-awesome-family
One of the ideas I am most proud of at TBS is our consciousness about gender identity. We weren't always as aware and accepting about gender variance as we have become in the last two years with training and help from the good people at GenderSpectrum. From rethinking the use of the terms "boy" and "girl" as a way to divide students, to creating non-gendered bathrooms, to conversations among students, parents, and faculty about the concepts of gender, we've slowly made in-roads in developing a culture and climate that are structured to be more accepting of gender variant individuals, and creating a space where children are comfortable expressing their gender variance. The importance this has in making our culture and community safe for all members is highlighted by the tragic teen suicides that have unfolded in Marin county and other places in the last few weeks.
I also wonder how to bring about a similarly raised awareness in our community about issues of race, class, and other seemingly taboo subjects.

No comments:

Post a Comment