Welcome!

Welcome to the blog of Zaq Roberts, Associate Head of School at The Berkeley School in Berkeley, CA. I blog about a wide variety of topics, from classroom moments I witness, to administrative events and conversations, to the educational blogs, videos, and books I am reading and watching, and how they are influencing my thinking. I hope this eclectic approach will give you insight into the many ways that I am engaging in advancing the school and strengthening our program, and I welcome your thoughts and comments!

This blog takes its name from a quotation by Archimedes that reads "Give me a lever long enough, and I can move the world." The TBS mission speaks directly to the need to engage a changing world, while many of the experiences in our program focus on the development of students' agency and authority. TBS is the lever by which we all - administration, faculty, students, and parents - can together move the world to be more humane, compassionate, and responsive. To borrow an important Montessori phrase, it is our way to remake the world.

Monday, June 13, 2011

Who's Ready for Kindergarten?

Here's an interesting little piece in the NY Times about one of our favorite topics, Kindergarten readiness! My take on the five commentators' pieces is that no one really seems to disagree: current K curriculums are getting pressure to be more academic and contain more literacy and math than is appropriate for a genuine K program; that "kindergarten readiness" is by necessity relative to the curriculum of the potential class placement; and that while children of upper/middle class people may not need the early start in kindergarten because of literacy-rich environments at home, those of lower SES or disadvantaged or minority backgrounds do need the early kindergarten experience in order to avoid later equity traps.

Thanks to Andrea Gordon, ECC Director, for passing along the link.

No comments:

Post a Comment