Welcome!

Welcome to the blog of Zaq Roberts, Associate Head of School at The Berkeley School in Berkeley, CA. I blog about a wide variety of topics, from classroom moments I witness, to administrative events and conversations, to the educational blogs, videos, and books I am reading and watching, and how they are influencing my thinking. I hope this eclectic approach will give you insight into the many ways that I am engaging in advancing the school and strengthening our program, and I welcome your thoughts and comments!

This blog takes its name from a quotation by Archimedes that reads "Give me a lever long enough, and I can move the world." The TBS mission speaks directly to the need to engage a changing world, while many of the experiences in our program focus on the development of students' agency and authority. TBS is the lever by which we all - administration, faculty, students, and parents - can together move the world to be more humane, compassionate, and responsive. To borrow an important Montessori phrase, it is our way to remake the world.

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Inside yesterday's Administration Retreat

Although the administration works throughout the summer, for many years we have gathered together for a full-day off site retreat the week before teachers return, to greet new faces and orient ourselves to the year ahead.

This year, like last year, we met in a small studio above Magnini's Market at the intersection of Hopkins and California, and began by looking together at 40 Maps, which is a collection of interesting maps documenting a wide range of ideas and concepts. This was a launching point for two ideas of data collection: both what is chosen to be looked at, and also how the data is presented.

Countries that don't use the metric system - from Wikipedia Commons
This led into an activity in which we broke into pairs and walked around the neighborhood, selecting a concept to document and present.













After a delicious lunch from SLOW, Mitch led us in a conversation about some of the important values and practices that underlie the three major strands of our philosophy and pedagogy.




We ended the day by doing the "Grow Your Garden" activity (which first came to TBS several years ago through a Positive Discipline training), which we do with all 4th and 5th grade students each fall. This is a reflective activity that asks participants to express ideas about themselves through a visual metaphor -- you can see my finished product at the end! Someone commented that my visual layout looked like a rock concert poster, which I thought was pretty cool, since I collect concert posters and have several hanging on my walls at home.





No comments:

Post a Comment