Welcome!

Welcome to the blog of Zaq Roberts, Associate Head of School at The Berkeley School in Berkeley, CA. I blog about a wide variety of topics, from classroom moments I witness, to administrative events and conversations, to the educational blogs, videos, and books I am reading and watching, and how they are influencing my thinking. I hope this eclectic approach will give you insight into the many ways that I am engaging in advancing the school and strengthening our program, and I welcome your thoughts and comments!

This blog takes its name from a quotation by Archimedes that reads "Give me a lever long enough, and I can move the world." The TBS mission speaks directly to the need to engage a changing world, while many of the experiences in our program focus on the development of students' agency and authority. TBS is the lever by which we all - administration, faculty, students, and parents - can together move the world to be more humane, compassionate, and responsive. To borrow an important Montessori phrase, it is our way to remake the world.

Friday, March 11, 2011

Friday miscellany


21 things in schools that will be obsolete by 2020, on KQED. Some I agree with, some I doubt. #6 is already true for me.

Facebook rolls out anti-bullying tools, on CNN. A little thin on details, but I'm glad to see that Facebook is acknowledging the platform's responsibility for how users interact.

A series of letters between Diane Ravitch (featured just last week on this blog) and Deborah Meier (founder of Central Park East and a leading light in public education) on how the events in Wisconson relate to public education.

Testing for knowledge, or the ability to ask for help? Vickie Bergman's post is a little chaotic, but the central point resonates, and the short video at the end is a hilarious must-watch!

Simon Sinek on how great leaders inspire action:



Finally, Jill Bote Taylor, nueroscientist, discusses experience her own stroke in this inspiring talk:



No comments:

Post a Comment