Welcome!

Welcome to the blog of Zaq Roberts, Associate Head of School at The Berkeley School in Berkeley, CA. I blog about a wide variety of topics, from classroom moments I witness, to administrative events and conversations, to the educational blogs, videos, and books I am reading and watching, and how they are influencing my thinking. I hope this eclectic approach will give you insight into the many ways that I am engaging in advancing the school and strengthening our program, and I welcome your thoughts and comments!

This blog takes its name from a quotation by Archimedes that reads "Give me a lever long enough, and I can move the world." The TBS mission speaks directly to the need to engage a changing world, while many of the experiences in our program focus on the development of students' agency and authority. TBS is the lever by which we all - administration, faculty, students, and parents - can together move the world to be more humane, compassionate, and responsive. To borrow an important Montessori phrase, it is our way to remake the world.

Monday, October 31, 2011

Monday reading

A longer collection than usual, since I haven't posted an article list in a while...

I'm a little disappointed in this article from Boston.com; I know the long hours for low pay that teachers work, but of all the professions, they are the ones I would least expect to try to co-opt a protest of one topic in order to raise awareness of another.

This Washington Post article has a great take on Michelle Rhee's legacy, proving it's not so easy to simply love her or hate her.

As a school, we talk about preserving and developing the motivation of students. As a leader, I think about how to do that with faculty. While they are all important, item #4 on this Harvard Business Review blog article caught my attention, since it fits right into the professional development work I am doing this year (see last week's post for more on that).

Health Day points out that "Overall, young children learn best from and require interaction with people, not TV shows or videos". But we kinda knew that already, right?

Teacher assessment is a hot topic. How can the process be improved, and yet not so open-ended that administrators act arbitrarily? Some places are considering improved test scores; others are considering the degree of parent interaction. The Wall St Journal takes a look.

Interested in how Finland structures their educational system? You should be, especially when someone like Tony Wagner (author of The Global Achievement Gap) is writing about it.

Still on the topic of international education, here's a teaser from the Hechinger Report on how the U.S. compares to other countries. I don't know about you, but I shudder when I read that "With the world getting more hyper-connected all the time, maintaining the American dream will require learning, working, producing, relearning, and innovating twice as hard, twice as fast, twice as often, and twice as much.” (Emphasis in the original.)", and not because I think we can't do that - it's because there are people who think that is "the answer" to "restoring" the dominance of the American educational system.

Minority teachers are critical to a culturally competent and responsive school. So why is it so hard to find them? Edweek.org has this summary of the issues.

The LA Times is running an interesting series of articles on companion robots. Here's one on a robot developed for autistic children. I sent it to my mother, who works at a school for autistic children outside of Boston, and she responded that they used the robot in this article as part of a study, comparing how kids responded to it and to real dogs.

No comments:

Post a Comment