Welcome!

Welcome to the blog of Zaq Roberts, Associate Head of School at The Berkeley School in Berkeley, CA. I blog about a wide variety of topics, from classroom moments I witness, to administrative events and conversations, to the educational blogs, videos, and books I am reading and watching, and how they are influencing my thinking. I hope this eclectic approach will give you insight into the many ways that I am engaging in advancing the school and strengthening our program, and I welcome your thoughts and comments!

This blog takes its name from a quotation by Archimedes that reads "Give me a lever long enough, and I can move the world." The TBS mission speaks directly to the need to engage a changing world, while many of the experiences in our program focus on the development of students' agency and authority. TBS is the lever by which we all - administration, faculty, students, and parents - can together move the world to be more humane, compassionate, and responsive. To borrow an important Montessori phrase, it is our way to remake the world.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Thinking and Linking about Leadership

I love reading about leadership -- sometimes more than practicing it! -- and there's a good neurological basis for me doing so; long-term memory is best created through regularly structured and timed repetitions of information. Each time I read about an aspect of leadership, it helps reset that idea for me as I go through my day tackling difficult topics in classroom practice, curriculum design, teacher collaboration, administrative practices and policy, parenting, and many other elements of my work that take courage, stamina, and insight to address. Moving back-and-forth between practice and theory keeps me focused on both addressing the issue at hand, and the lens with which I'm viewing that issue. With that in mind, here are a few links about leadership I've found useful in the last month; the links-as-descriptions are my summaries of what I've taken from each article and used in my own work.

Creating change requires overcoming your fears.




It's all about the team. (I wrote about this article earlier this month)

No comments:

Post a Comment