Welcome!

Welcome to the blog of Zaq Roberts, Associate Head of School at The Berkeley School in Berkeley, CA. I blog about a wide variety of topics, from classroom moments I witness, to administrative events and conversations, to the educational blogs, videos, and books I am reading and watching, and how they are influencing my thinking. I hope this eclectic approach will give you insight into the many ways that I am engaging in advancing the school and strengthening our program, and I welcome your thoughts and comments!

This blog takes its name from a quotation by Archimedes that reads "Give me a lever long enough, and I can move the world." The TBS mission speaks directly to the need to engage a changing world, while many of the experiences in our program focus on the development of students' agency and authority. TBS is the lever by which we all - administration, faculty, students, and parents - can together move the world to be more humane, compassionate, and responsive. To borrow an important Montessori phrase, it is our way to remake the world.

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Reading with the K/1 students


In the last two days I visited both K/1 classrooms and shared Tubby and the Lantern, my favorite book from childhood (I still have the battered copy I owned as a child). The story centers around the adventures of a boy named Ah Mee, and his friend
Tubby the elephant. They float away from home on a giant paper lantern, narrowly escaping one dangerous situation after another - from falling into the ocean, to escaping pirates - by relying on their friendship and quick wits. Ah Mee's parents are barely present in the story (though their love for the two is evident), allowing the lives of the protagonists to take center stage. It is a vivid, complicated book that honors the emotional and imaginative lives of children, and I think that's why I liked it so much.

After reading the book aloud, students we
re given a choice of activities to deepen their connection to and understanding of the book, varying slightly by classroom. Building pirate ships out of blocks, re-enacting the story in the dress-up area, and creating flip-flap books of events in the text were just some of the options. It was a wonderful way to meet the new and returning K/1 students, share my love of reading, and see the classrooms in action.


Thanks to Blackberry Creek for these pictures!


1 comment:

  1. thanks, zaq. the story made a definite impression and daniel described the story in detail to me this morning on the way to school. he described the reader (now i know it was you) as "a special visitor to the class". he really got alot out of it. thank you!

    ReplyDelete